FVDES Learning Services
Learning Services at FVDES offers inclusive educational opportunities to Chilliwack students in Grades K to 12. We support students enrolled at FVDES in a blended, distributed learning environment. Fraser Valley Distance Education School offers a unique blend of learning at home and on site.
Services and Programs
The learning services team offers a supportive learning environment:
- Blended learning environment and programs at various levels
- On site group programs
- Access the tutoring center for additional help
- On site Educational Assistant (EA) support
- Field trips and special events
- Attend the Innovative Elementary Program for students in Grades K-7 which include Robotics, Science, Field Trips, and Art
- K-7 virtual classes and field trips
- Work closely with teachers to help students experience success
- A variety of services offered for our students
- Learning assistance support
The Inclusive Education Plan is a vehicle for collaborative planning between the teachers, home facilitator/parent and student to develop goals and objectives. Through the IEP, the following features may be incorporated:
- Adaptations to regular course work
- Online courses
- Online educational programs
- Life skills development
- Access to learning and supports
- Testing support
Parents/Guardians and Home Facilitation
In Distributed Learning, it is a requirement that parents/guardians provide a documented commitment for their child’s Student Learning Plan (SLP). As the Home Facilitator, parents/guardians provide guidance, support and direction for their child in the FVDES program and courses. In order for students to be successful, parents/guardians must play an active role and maintain regular communication with the teacher(s) and counselor(s). The responsibilities also include:
- Become familiar with the FVDES curriculum, content, and resources of the program/course(s).
- Provide a suitable permanent work space for their child.
- Establish a daily/weekly schedule that includes enough time to cover the course work.
- Ensures their child works on a regular basis.
- Reviews all work and assignments, with their child before submitting to FVDES.
- Helps their child make the arrangements for taking tests, and ensures that they are prepared.
- Reviews returned work and feedback from the teachers, with their child.
- Monitors the online grade-book with their child.
Strategies for Success:
- Make a schedule
- Regular contact with teachers
- Set goals